Daniel Akbari - was born in Iran and practiced law there until his mid-thirties. He is a graduate of Tehran University School of Law in Qom, Iran, the seat of Shia religious teaching. He is certified by the Iranian Bar Association as a "Number One Attorney," which means he is qualified to handle solo representation in cases involving the death penalty. Mr. Akbari is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Iran. His practice concentrated on Criminal Law and Family Law. He has handled numerous cases involving the Islamic law of sexual relations, ghayra violence, and amr bil ma'ruf, the Sharia Law doctrines that result in ghayra violence and what the West calls "honor" killing. Mr. Akbari worked with Defenders of Human Rights led by Shirin Ebadi, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. In 1997, in his hometown with a population of 300,000, Mr. Akbari managed Mohammed Khatami's successful first campaign for President of Iran. Mr. Akbari holds a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice from Texas State University and a Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security from the Bush School of Government and Public Service.
Paul J. Tetreault, Jr., Esq. - is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and served in the Navy for 25 years. He is a Virginia lawyer and a retired U.S. Navy Commander. Mr. Tetreault began studying Islam while attending National Defense University in the 1990s. He holds an MBA in Finance from Golden Gate University, a J.D. from George Mason University School of Law, and studied Economics at the Ph.D level for 5 years under Dr. Walter E. Williams at George Mason University. He clerked for Judge Daniel H. Huyett 3d in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and Judge H. Emory Widener, Jr. in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He has authored and taught a college-level class on Islam.
The Worksheet to Recognize Ghayra Violence - One of the features that makes HONOR KILLING useful to professionals who touch the lives of Muslim women and girls is the Worksheet to Recognize Ghayra Violence. HONOR KILLING devotes a chapter to each of the three Islamic legal concepts that, together, lead to honor killing and ghayra violence: the sharia rules for the dress and conduct of women (Chapter 8), ghayra (Chapter 7), and amr bil ma'ruf (Chapter 9). The form makes it easy for teachers, counsellors, social and shelter workers, nurses, doctors, cops, journalists, and lawyers to collect the facts that show a Muslim woman may be in danger of ghayra violence. Almost 50 of HONOR KILLING's 262 pages is devoted to analysis of actual cases of honor killing and ghayra violence. These pages demonstrate, in detail, how to use the Worksheet.
The Mechanism of Honor Killing & Ghayra Violence - The book explains clearly that honor killing and lesser forms of ghayra violence take place because a woman violates the sharia rules for women's dress and conduct. This violation irritates a Muslim man's ghayra. Ghayra is a legal and religious concept that means the Muslim male's control over the females in his namoos - essentially his female family members - to enforce the sharia rules for women's dress and conduct. Sharia obligates the male to take action under the provisions for enjoining good and forbidding evil, known to Muslims as amr bil ma'ruf. The amr bil ma'ruf provisions in sharia provide a hierarchy of steps the male can take to correct or stop the sharia violation. The steps begin with telling the woman she has committed a violation and go all the way to deadly force. What the West calls "honor killing" is really just the last step of amr bil ma'ruf. Chapters 7, 8, and 9 of HONOR KILLING explain ghayra, the sharia rules for women's dress and conduct, and the amr bil ma'ruf steps in detail. The process is shown below:
"A very serious and, indeed, extraordinary book" - Dr. Andrew Bostom
In HONOR KILLING, Daniel Akbari, a real Muslim scholar reveals for the first time that the root cause of honor killing is not culture but three components of Sharia law. Sharia - the rules for how to practice Islam - provides the motive and dictates the modus operandi for honor killing.
- written by a real, qualified Islamic mujtahid
- shows meticulously how honor killing flows from the authentic Islamic sources
- explains the relation between jihad and honor killing
- explains why many Muslim spokespeople deny honor killing comes from Islam
- explains the maqasid al-sharia - the ultimate goal of Islam - and the reason Islam appears to have no moral rules except whatever is good for Islam is moral
- explains the true nature and effect of "Islamic culture"
- explains which Muslims pose the greatest risk of honor killing, and why
- explains the sharia rules for women's dress and conduct
- explains the legal elements of ghayra and its central importance in the religion of Islam
- explains the steps up to and through the use of deadly force in amr bil ma'ruf, Sharia's right of private enforcement
- explains why honor killings are usually overly brutal
- analyzes real world cases of honor killing
- contains a Worksheet to Recognize Ghayra Violence to help professionals who interact with Muslim women and girls recognize when they are in danger and help cops, lawyers, and judges know when an honor killing or ghayra violence has occurred.
- and Much, Much More!
Official site of the book HONOR KILLING: A Professional's Guide to Sexual Relations and Ghayra Violence from the Islamic Sources
And see The Last Punisher
Support the Shadow Warriors Project!